Game Types Bonuses Slots More
Online Casinos Poker Bingo Games Lotteries Sports & Racebooks Fantasy Sports Forex Betting Exchanges Spread Betting Binary Options Live Dealers
Weekly Newsletter Online Gaming News Payment Methods Gaming Software Gaming Site Owners Gaming Jurisdictions Edit Preferences Search

Online Casino City Times

Top 10 Online Casinos

1. Sunmaker
2. Sunny Player Casino
3. Quasar Gaming
4. Coral
5. 888 Casino
6. William Hill Italy
7. Bovada Casino
8. bet365 Casino
9. NordicBet
10. LeoVegas

> back to current newsletter
Weekly Newsletter Sign Up
Don’t miss an issue! Have the newsletter sent directly to you.

New Jersey online casinos generate over $100 million in tax revenue

15 Jun 2017

(PRESS RELEASE) -- New Jersey's online casinos have now generated more than $100 million in total tax revenue for the state after posting another impressive month in May, according to analysts from

The New Jersey Monthly Internet Gross Revenue Report, which was released Wednesday by the state's Division of Gaming Enforcement, showed that legal online casinos generated $21.1 million in gross revenue during the 31 days in May.

The strong month pushed New Jersey to $101.25 million in total tax revenue generated since New Jersey legalized online casino games and poker in 2013. The tax revenue totals are a result of the 15% tax levied by the state, which is reflected in New Jersey's monthly report, and a 2.5% reinvestment tax that is used to pay off debt in Atlantic City.

"Even naysayers cannot deny the impact of New Jersey online gambling, which has now contributed more than $100 million to state coffers," said Robert DellaFave, senior analyst for "New Jersey's online gambling industry may be the state's only new revenue stream to both generate more than $100 million in tax dollars and to do it without placing a heavy burden on citizens."

May also marked the third consecutive month that New Jersey has surpassed $20 million in gross revenue. The monthly total is up from $20.8 million in April and nearly reaching the record $21.7 million in March. The impressive tally comes in spite of the Memorial Day holiday weekend, which typically suppresses online gambling revenue.

"Record or near-record breaking monthly revenue tallies are more of an inevitability than an anomaly at this stage in the New Jersey online gambling industry's lifecycle," DellaFave said.

Nowhere has the impact of regulate online gambling been felt more than in Atlantic City, which is using the reinvestment tax as part of a state rescue plan to pay down hundreds of millions of dollars of the city's debt.

"Atlantic City is inundated with debt, but thanks to tax revenue contributions from online gambling, the beleaguered city stands a stronger chance of making a full recovery," DellaFave said.

Some other key points from the May report:
  • New Jersey online casinos have now generated more than $100 million in gross revenue through the first five months of 2017, and more than $575.5 million (554,452,143+May) in total revenue since 2013.
  • Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa remains the leader in lifetime revenue generated by online casinos and poker. But Golden Nugget Atlantic City was tops in May with $5.9 million.
  • Online casino games accounting for 84 percent of total revenue; poker accounts for the remaining 16%.
For more information and analysis on regulated online gaming in New Jersey, visit For a detailed snapshot on the current state of New Jersey's legal online gambling industry, visit NJ Online Casinos.
About Us | Advertising | Publications | Land Casinos