WSOP eliminates November Nine concept; will crown Main Event winner in July
15 May 2017
(PRESS RELEASE) -- Poker Central has acquired the global television and digital media rights to the annual summer World Series of Poker (WSOP) in Las Vegas. Poker Central and ESPN have reached an agreement to expand programming from the tournament, including live event coverage and original episodes throughout the year. The agreement marks the first-time ESPN will air same-day coverage of the WSOP from day one of the Main Event to the conclusion of the final table, a model which will continue through 2020.
Beginning with the 2017 WSOP, several notable changes will take place because of this agreement:
- Ten consecutive days of WSOP Main Event live coverage on ESPN/ESPN2 starting Day 1A (8 July) through Day 7 (17 July).
- Continuation of event through 22 July, with off days on 18 and 19 July for the final nine players.
- Three-day live WSOP Main Event final table coverage on ESPN/ESPN2 20-22 July.
- The elimination of the November Nine format, with play now finishing in the summer.
"ESPN has been our home since 2002, and we're delighted to extend the relationship into the next decade," said Ty Stewart, executive director, WSOP. "Having every day live coverage of the WSOP Main Event is truly a huge commitment on behalf of ESPN and Poker Central, and we look forward to delivering to our faithful audience wall-to-wall action from the outset for the very first time."
"We are thrilled to add the preeminent poker brand, the World Series of Poker, to our growing portfolio of poker-related content," said JR McCabe, chief digital officer, Poker Central. "We have major plans to reinvent the WSOP offering to greatly expand how, when and where fans of the game of poker can watch and engage with the game."
"The World Series of Poker has been a longstanding staple of ESPN programming," said Dan Ochs, director of programming and acquisitions, ESPN. "We are pleased to reach an agreement to continue to carry the sport's most prominent event and modernize our coverage with the new same day live coverage throughout July each year."
As part of the agreement, Poker Central will offer sponsorship opportunities and commercial inventory.
The planned schedule of WSOP live coverage on ESPN/ESPN2 in 2017 is as follows:
- 8 July: Day 1A, ESPN2, 4 p.m. - 8 p.m.
- 9 July: Day 1B, ESPN2, 2 p.m. - 6 p.m.
- 11 July: Day 2A/B, ESPN, 8 p.m. - 11 p.m.
- 12 July: Day 2C, ESPN, 8 p.m. - 10 p.m.
- 14 July: Day 4, ESPN2, 8 p.m. - 11 p.m.
- 15 July: Day 5, ESPN2, 2 p.m. - 4 p.m.
- 16 July: Day 6, ESPN2, 2 p.m. - 6 p.m.
- 17 July: Day 7, ESPN2, 7 p.m. - 9 p.m.
- 19 July: Off day, ESPN2, final table preview show, 10 p.m. - 11 p.m.
- 20 July: Day 8, ESPN2, Nine to six players, 9 p.m. - TBD
- 21 July: Day 9, ESPN, Six to three players, 9 p.m. - TBD
- 22 July: Day 10, ESPN, Three players to winner, 9 p.m. - TBD
For more information, please visit the Poker Central website.